Alexandr Shadchin <alexandr.shadc...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <j...@wxcvbn.org>
> wrote:
>

>> (Cc'ing Alexandr, the maintainer of devel/ectags.)
>>
>> Rafael Sadowski <raf...@sizeofvoid.org> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > please find attach a maintained ctags implementation.
>> >
>> > $ pkg/DESCR
>> > universal-ctags has the objective of continuing the development from what
>> > existed in the Sourceforge area. The goal of the project is preparing and
>> > maintaining common/unified space where people interested in making ctags
>> better
>> > can work together.
>>
>> There are a few things that caught my eye, but first: shouldn't this
>> replace devel/ectags?  (IIUC ectags is exuberant ctags, the sourceforge
>> project mentioned in DESCR, with no release since 2009).
>>
>> --
>> jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE
>>

> It would be nice. ectags is old and contain bugs.

upstream had a discussion about this:

  https://github.com/universal-ctags/ctags/issues/446

The tags file format seems compatible with ectags, but I don't know what
are the differences between ectags and uctags. I'll leave the question
to ectags users.

The updated port contains the following changes:
- move to devel, like ectags.  I don't think it fits in sysutils or
  textproc
- afaik CONFIGURE_ARGS --prefix=${LOCALBASE} --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc
  were no-op.  Is there a reason to specify them?
- embed the git commit in the build (after all, it's not a release, and
  it could help upstream bug reports)
- enable regress tests (one test is failing)
- don't clobber LDFLAGS

The regress tests show that multibyte support is not built. (by
default?)  Should it be enabled?  In a FLAVOR maybe?  No multibyte = no
need for iconv = no need to tweak CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.

The patch for regress tests could probably be pushed upstream.

jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE