I would like to ask about something different - how tightly is that
telegram support tied to GUI libraries? Some of these libpurple-based
transports for IM protocols are tied up to use with Pidgin/Adium,
completely ignoring the fact that libpurple can be used by many other
applications.

The problem itself is that I would like to use Bitlbee with libpurple
for XMPP, GG, Facebook and Telegram if it gets merged, but I'm a bit
afraid about pushing the whole GUI stack as a dependency tail of
libpurple and/or these transports, while libpurple itself can actually
work without X.