Jakub Skrzypnik <j.skrzyp...@openmailbox.org> wrote:

>I would like to ask about something different - how tightly is that
>telegram support tied to GUI libraries? Some of these libpurple-based
>transports for IM protocols are tied up to use with Pidgin/Adium,
>completely ignoring the fact that libpurple can be used by many other
>applications.
>
>The problem itself is that I would like to use Bitlbee with libpurple
>for XMPP, GG, Facebook and Telegram if it gets merged, but I'm a bit
>afraid about pushing the whole GUI stack as a dependency tail of
>libpurple and/or these transports, while libpurple itself can actually
>work without X.

This port does not depend on any X11 stuff, and it is known to work with
finch (console version of pidgin).  For all I know there is an open
issue about a user being constantly signed out from telegram on
Bitlbee¹, though I am not sure whether it is an issue with particular
setup, or a defect in telegram-purple.

You can actually build a port and test it.

¹ https://github.com/majn/telegram-purple/issues/392