Hi, thanks for your reply. Although it's not easy for me to have a
dedicated machine for development, I've finally managed to set up a
running -current environment from the latest snapshot.

> Attached is an updated tarball, keeping you as maintainer, Giuseppe, and
> doing what I believe was your intent from the original submission.

Thank you for the update, I am working with the new tarball right now.

> But then the apl interpreter inverts the colors on my terminal, leading to
> black text on black background, so the only thing I can really do is issue
> "exit" to close the terminal.

This is the expected behavior of the interpreter. Unfortunately,
the color feature seems to be more annoying than useful (and the
configuration file mention the issue you experienced as well), but
there is an option in the configuration file and also a command line
flag to disable coloring altogether (coloring can also be disabled
from within the interpreter itself). Following your request, I will
patch the default configuration file in order to disable coloring.

Also, I was wondering whether it is the case to include in the
package the standard APL font (not part of the original distribution)
and install it in the default X11 font directory. It would save new
users a lot of woe, I suppose, since the language uses a non-ASCII
set of characters and symbols for which a new font is needed. My only
concern so far is that I have not been able to find any information on
the license of this font that anyway seems to be in the public domain.

Best,

--
Giuseppe Cocomazzi
My self is steam.