On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 12:20:48PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:

Hello Brian,

> But the website says that Icon bears little superficial resemblance to
> SNOBOL4, which I take to mean you can't take snobol code and run it through
> icon, which is what is needed :(

As you've probably realised, SNOBOL and Icon (largely) come from the same
brain, but with a different intended outcome. Icon was meant to be more like
a "normal" programming language than SNOBOL, albeit Icon has backtracking
(what Icon calls "goal-directed evaluation"). If I had to give a rough
analogy, SNOBOL is sort-of Awk-ish, whereas Icon is an Algol derivative. As
that might suggest, the two languages have a really different notion of
control flow, which means that it would be hard to do a good job of
translating between the two.

a SNOBOL interpreter/compiler :/ I'm glad to see a SNOBOL system submitted
to ports!

[This brings back memories for me. Many moons ago, I created a language
which integrated in Icon's expression evaluation ideas [1]. I learnt a lot!]

Laurie

[1]
http://tratt.net/laurie/research/pubs/html/tratt__experiences_with_an_icon_like_expression_evaluation_system/