On Fri, Dec 08 2017, Renaud Allard <ren...@allard.it> wrote:
> On 12/07/2017 11:20 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> On 2017/12/07 20:26, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> net/tacacs+ shows its age, the md5 code uses "long" as if it was 32
>>> bits, which probably doesn't fly on amd64.  DES supports relies on
>>> crypt(3), which our libc doesn't support.  End result: I was not able to
>>> perform a single successful auth with Authen::TacacsPlus.  Also the
>>> logging code suffers from at least one stack overflow.  So afaics the
>>> current port is unusable.
>>>
>>> Our current port already needs patches to build with clang, along with
>>> getpwnam_shadow & LP64 stuff (not all of them are fixed).  Quite
>>> a maintenance burden.
>>>
>>> So I propose to just delete this port for now.  If people are actually
>>> interested in tacacs+ support, they can still propose a new port based
>>> on the newer, much cleaner releases published by the folks at
>>> shrubbery.net.
>>>
>>> ok to kill it?
>>
>> Your research is convincing. OK!
>>

> I can confirm the current port is unusable as I am trying to implement
> it right now to replace an aging server. Using code from shrubbery.net
> works fine with almost only one patch for getpwnam_shadow().

Probably because that version doesn't drop to an unprivileged user, for
which getpwnam_shadow() cannot work.

> Unfortunately, the DES code needs to be reimported into the port for DES
> to be usable. Maybe a cleaner approach would be to implement blowfish
> instead of DES in the configuration file, but that won't allow to reuse
> old config file passwords without knowing them.

No idea about DES.  We don't have support for this in crypt(3) any more.

As discussed with Renaud, we might see a more recent port in the near
future.  For now, I'll just remove the port.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE