On 07/21/18 11:04, Brian Callahan wrote:

On 7/21/2018 9:58 AM, Solene Rapenne wrote:
Brian Callahan writes:

On 07/10/18 10:57, Brian Callahan wrote:
On 07/10/18 05:14, Tom Murphy wrote:
The game went Freeware in 1999 and its files are free to
download. There's nothing to purchase.
OpenOMF uses a MIT license.

Yes, OpenOMF uses the MIT license. The game assets are still not
open source, even if freeware. I could not find language saying that
it would be OK for us to distribute the game assets ourselves (maybe
that language exists but if it does I couldn't find it).

Anyhow, I reworded pkg/DESCR and pkg/README to point the user to the
game assets distributed by archive.org. They seemed both the most
neutral and most likely to be around in 100 years out of all the
places that had a copy.

I did the initial port work on it and have been in contact with the
developers of openomf.
They've make several fixes to cmake to make it more portable,
however there's some bits of the game
that don't work 100% yet like tournament mode, and there's some
bugs in the network code that need fixing, but single and two
player modes work.

Yes, they've been good. They responded right away to a problem I
found where the game locked up if you tried to remap the player's
keys.

The libdumb submodule was there because the libdumb code got taken
over by a new developer (https://github.com/kode54/dumb) so I'm
fairly sure we could update audio/dumb to 2.0.3. I'm not completely
certain but I believe the old allegro stuff has been dropped.

I decided to use libxmp instead of dumb. Upstream supports that, so
I don't feel much of a reason to use dumb at this point.

Thanks to Brian Callahan for sorting out the submodules. Those were
doing my head in! :)

Hence the self-hosted tarball :)

Updated tarball attached.

~Brian

Ping. Game works fine.

~Brian
it would be cool to have a checksum in the README file to be sure that
the file downloaded is the right one.
We could do that, and essentially "bless" the version at archive.org.
Makes sense to me.

I tried to run the game, I unzipped the .ZIP file into
/usr/local/share/openomf/ but I need to run the game from within that
directory, or I get an error "MISSING FILE INTRO.BK.".
This is explained (as best I could) in the pkg/README. Happy to accept
changes to it if it can be made better.

>From the directory with the assets, the game starts, but when I tried to
change the resolution of the game, I get a segmentation fault.
This is known. It's a bug in SDL2 itself (not in openomf). You can
maximize the window if you'd like it larger, but you can't change the
resolution until the underlying SDL2 bug is fixed.

I'll send a new tarball shortly.

~Brian

Hopefully this version satisfies the pkg/README suggestions.

OK?

~Brian