On 08/25 08:45, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2018/08/25 11:54, Jeremy Evans wrote:
> > On 08/20 05:53, Bryan Linton wrote:
> > > Sound doesn't work though.
> > >
> > >   Initializing sound...
> > >   Using "OpenBSD(/dev/audio*)" audio driver with SexyAL's default
> > >   device selection.OpenBSD Audio Error: fd = open(id ? id :
> > >   "/dev/audio", O_WRONLY) No such file or directory
> > >   Error opening a sound device.
> > >
> > >   [...]
> > >
> > >   % ls -la /dev/audio
> > >   ls: /dev/audio: No such file or directory
> >
> > I did some more work on this and found out the reason it worked for me
> > was not related to this change, but because I use the sdl sound driver.
> > I think sdl should be the default, because it works with sndiod, while
> > the openbsd driver does not.
> >
> > Here's a patch that does that.  It also updates the default device from
> > from /dev/audio to /dev/audio0.
>
> Hmm, the commit log for that says "Remove unused /dev/audio and
> /dev/audioctl symlinks".
>
> Is the diff to change from /dev/audio to /dev/audio0 basically a noop,
> or if /dev/audio *is* still used (even if it's "just" in ports) would
> it make sense to put the symlinks back? I don't think we're very likely
> to find all the things using /dev/audio in ports before release..

The /dev/audio -> /dev/audio0 diff is a noop by default, as I also
switched the default driver from openbsd to sdl (which uses sndio).

I don't express an opinion on putting the symlinks back.  I think most
programs that use audio on OpenBSD use sndio (directly or indirectly).
Those that don't are problematic to use in general, since you have to
stop using sndiod to use them (this is how mednafen currently operates
in ports, before the patch).

Thanks,
Jeremy