> On Nov 5, 2018, at 8:47 AM, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 08:43:56AM -0500, Daniel Dickman wrote:
>>

>>> On Nov 5, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Or we could just finally remove brk and sbrk from the libc ?
>>>

>> you won’t get very far. they are still needed in base (gcc, clang, mkhybrid).
>
> The big question is, are they still *needed* or do those tools just *use them
> if they find them*.

mkhybrid is an easy diff.

gcc uses them for precompiled headers (PCH) which is a local diff added by
kurt@ in 2009. its likely nothing in base uses PCH but i don’t know what in
ports needs this:
https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/cfee5d1

choices there would be to disable PCH support or maybe there’s a different way
to reimplement without brk/sbrk.

clang looks like they have a HAVE_SBRK ifdef or something like that. so usage
can likely be turned off but i don’t know this codebase that well so that’s
just an assumption.