On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 09:15:28AM -0500, Daniel Dickman wrote:
>    gcc uses them for precompiled headers (PCH) which is a local diff added
>    by kurt@ in 2009. its likely nothing in base uses PCH but i don't know
>    what in ports needs this:

This has always been a mess. I suspect it's not really important these days
because pch only make sense for large C++ codebases, which are definitely
not going to be happy with the gcc from base anyway.

There is also some snippet using sbrk to avoid malloc in gmon.c.

That might be more of an issue...

>    [3]https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/cfee5d1
>
>    choices there would be to disable PCH support or maybe there's a
>    different way to reimplement without brk/sbrk.

>    clang looks like they have a HAVE_SBRK ifdef or something like that. so
>    usage can likely be turned off but i don't know this codebase that well
>    so that's just an assumption.

Yep, I'll have to look.