Danke Stefan for your response.

> I like your idea. I suppose /var/svn is a sane default path, and there
> are already other cases where other parts create directories in /var.

Yes, the Postgresql port uses /var/postgresql.

I tried to find a best practice for the subversion directory. Most volks
seemed to use /var/svn.

> Would you be able to submit a diff to the port which implements
> this idea?

Unfortunately, I would not be able to as of now. But sometime in future,
I do hope to contribute. I am sorry for this.

While trying to determine the best practices, I encountered a few ideas.
Would it be possible for volks to please share their thoughts on them:
1) Is it a good idea to make a separate disklabel partition /var/svn?
2) If yes, would rw,nodev,nosuid,softdep,sync be appropriate fstab
options to mount /var/svn?
3) What is a good svn repository backup routine? Any gotchas that should
be kept in mind?

Regards,
ab