Hi,

Anthony J. Bentley wrote on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 06:47:04AM -0700:

> The Open English Bible

I think adding this as a port is a bad idea.

While "something is software that can be run on OpenBSD and that
at least one developer or at least some users want to run on OpenBSD"
may be a good enough reason to add something to ports (even though
there are exceptions even to that, like certain kinds of web
applications, or libraries used by no other ports), "something is
a book and at least one developer wants to read it" does not look
like a good enough reason to add something to ports/books.

I think anything under ports/books ought to have at least some kind
of a relation to OpenBSD, UNIX, or to major programming languages
that can be used under OpenBSD.  I don't see why ports/books should
become a library of random books with no relation whatsoever to the
project.

Besides, i think Solene is right that installing mere PDF files
provides relatively little benefit compared to having the user
simply store them somewhere below /home/.  A books port mostly makes
sense when the contained files can be used in non-trivial ways with
software.  The best example probably being that man-pages-posix can
be used with the man(1) -M option.  Though i admit even that case
is not fully convincing yet because mandoc(1) is still unable to
properly format the POSIX standards documents, with the consequence
that they have to be installed preformatted and support for semantic
searching is unavailable.  But you get the idea: the man-pages-posix
port is potentially more useful than merely downloading a big PDF
file.

Yours,
  Ingo