On Sun, May 05 2019, Alessandro DE LAURENZIS <jus...@atlantide.t28.net> wrote:
> Dear ports@ readers,
>
> from the last landry@'s sparc64 bulk build report (see [1]), I noticed
> that cad/netgen was failing.
>
> I think the reason is the "-std=c89" flag that I added to reduce the
> noise during compile, hiding a bunch of this kind of messages:
>
>> warning: implicit declaration of function 'xxx' is invalid in C99

Maybe there are lots of those warnings and fixing them all means
patching, but this is technically the wrong approach.  The right
approach is to include the appropriate headers.

> The problem is that in some files the "//" comment style has been used
> (and it isn't allowed in ANSI C - don't know why clang isn't
> complaining).
>
> We can simply use a more specific flag
> (-Wno-implicit-function-declaration" to obtain the same effect.

Implicit function declarations was a misfeature of the C language, fixed
by C99.  I don't think we want to go backwards.

> I don't have a sparc64 station, so I'm asking for confirmation.

You can test on eg amd64 using

  make clean all CC=gcc CXX=g++

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE