On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 at 17:44:31 -0300, Elias M. Mariani wrote:
> Hello Aaron,
> This is an old submission...
> Is there any reason to have this tool in the ports tree?

I would like to get it in as a more sane (not by much) alternative to npm.

I have a yet to be submitted version that fixes an issue people reported back.
I'll send it of tonight some time (along with a node update).

> I found this mail because I wanted to see if porting VS Code was
> possible and how much work would require.
> TL;DR: VS Code uses Yarn to install.

It might be worth checking in with bcallah@, I know he was also working on a
port of it. Not sure how far along he got though.

> Is this the case for lots of ports?
> I think that there are lots of interesting tools to have: Discord, VS
> Code, Atom, so on...
> Most of them depending on npm, yarn, Electron (now we have this one I think).
> But it seems a lot of work to produce packages with our ports workflow
> with those tools, you seem to have more insight on the subject.
> What do you think?

The only way to do it sanely is to vendor the 'node_modules' directories with
everything. Having a port per module (yarn, npm or otherwise) is completely
untenable.

--
PGP: 0x1F81112D62A9ADCE / 3586 3350 BFEA C101 DB1A  4AF0 1F81 112D 62A9 ADCE