On Sun, Mar 29 2020, Antoine Jacoutot <ajacou...@bsdfrog.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 02:53:49AM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

>> > My point is that I don't think anyone would run GNOME on legacy arches.
>> > I don't see the point in loosing bulk time by building things that will
>> > never
>> > be installed anywhere.
>>
>> There's able and then will. You might be surprised though. We have folks
>> compiling and playing games on powerpc.
>>
>> Beyond that though, I didn't think that was the only reason we compile
>> these packages on other architectures.

> I regularly try GNOME on powerpc since 15+ years.
> It never worked properly since we moved to gnome3 years ago.

If gnome or a subset of its apps doesn't build, then it sure can't be
used and debugged on powerpc.  Even if the full gnome desktop isn't
usable, its apps can probably be useful.  Instead of discussing on
a case by case basis which app makes sense on what arch, I find it
easier to just fix the build of everything that can be fixed.  If
someone cares enough to fix it, obviously.  Just like with the rest of
the tree.  Please don't make this more painful than it already is.  :)

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE