On Mon, Mar 30 2020, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

>> I don't see how gnome-control-center can be useful as a single application.

Well Charlene mentioned running gnome on powerpc:

>> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:11:07PM +0200, Charlene Wendling wrote:
>>> *Some* GNOME stuff don't work properly.
>>>
>>> But it's not *totally* broken [0] :)
>>>
>>> [0] https://bsd.network/web/statuses/102065676125440442

But one can't pkg_add gnome if gnome-control-center is missing since
it's a RUN_DEPENDS of meta/gnome,-main and x11/gnome/shell.

And let me repeat another point:

*Especially* when such discussions take time and patience, while the fix
itself is (usually) just a CFLAGS or LDFLAGS tweak.

>> Then we agree to disagree :-)
>> For me this is taking a huge amount of time on bulks and could prevent having
>> regular matching base / packages.

I'm not sure I follow.  Unless something changed, you're not using
sparc64 or powerpc any more.  So I'm not sure why you care about bulk
build time and user experience on those archs. ;)

> Yes, this is a good point. Is the goal to just build as much as possible,
> or is it to make things better overall for these arches?

Building as much as possible is part of making things better.  If
software is marked as BROKEN it can't expose build-time and runtime
problems.  (BTW those problems might be relevant for other/all
architectures).  IMO with less software available you attract fewer
users and get less exposure, and that leads to fewer bug reports and
*less incentive to fix the software on those archs in the first place*.

If the fixes proposed for those archs are a problem then I'm sure we can
find ways to make them more palatable so that everybody can happily keep
on hacking on their stuff. :)

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE