A Damn Sovine plagerized someone with:

<<Don't know if the earlier, self-consciously arty Michael Stipe swiped some
of Dave's rhetorical asides (asking "Any questions so far?" every few songs)
or odd facial ticks and hand gestures that he (Stipe) used to do before he
became a rock star, but there were some striking similarities.>>

That wouldn't surprise me due to the fact that Stipe is, indeed a big Pere Ubu
fan.  I recall him praising the work of the band, and then covering one of
their songs (i forget which one) when I saw them in '87.  The opening band:
the dB's!!!!

Speaking of Stipe, today I stumbled upon an album by Our Favorite Band (OFB)
which had Mr. Stipe listed as a guest vocalist.  I also recall seeing a
Scorcher listed as a "guest" musician as well... Can anyone tell me anything
about this band/release?  It was on Bigtime.  It was still sealed (and a
cutout), but I need more convincing that it's worth the $15 the dude was
askin' for!  (i'm especially cautious, due to the fact that he had a sealed
Dead Milkmen - "Big Lizard" LP for $25 and a used (which cover wear) "Metal
Machine Music" album for $40!)

I'm intrigued.

Paul