Howdy,

The sirens have faded into the distance. Now, is the time to write the
review of the live in-studio performance of The Bystanders on the Fringe
this weekend.

I don't know how we did it, but we managed to cram the whole band, plus a
studio audience of one, into the legendary WDVX camper, along with your
not-so-petite host. It was a feat not matched since the last time Ringling
Bros. brought the circus to town.

(Note to other future guests: I do *not* exaggerate the size of our studios.
16-foot camper with the DJ booth crammed into the closet and the DJ standing
in the bathroom door to broadcast.)

I want to say that anyone who gets the chance to see the Bystanders perform
or have them as guests on their show, should simply do so. The band
showcased some excellent songwriting, along with a bright alt.country sound
heavily flavored at times by the Costello/Parker school of British pop.

Rob Russell, a regular P2 contributor, should take a bow for some mighty
fine songwriting (Note to Rob: record Hanging Party next.) and for whatever
role he had in assembling that fine group of musicians and songwriters. I
want to tell you, I enjoy the CD EP I have of the band, but hearing them
live in the camper, gathered around the single vintage RCA microphone, is a
treat beyond compare. I *will* be counted among the audience members when
the Bystanders perform at the Long Branch Saloon this Friday (with the Town
Criers, whom they are very much fond of).

And I'm not saying all this because they bought me a donut after the show...
Although that will merit them a return invitation. <g>

Based on comments from folks today, Saturday night's episode of the Fringe
was a huge hit. I don't know if it was in spite of, or because of, the
silliness that went on between songs. Folks (myself included) seemed to
enjoy the party atmosphere of the show.

I don't know what kind of experience the Bystanders themselves were
expecting. I hope they were pleasantly surprised and equally happy with the
results of the whole experience as well.

It occurs to me that the original point of this post was to let you see the
play list from the Fringe. So, here goes. As usual, contact information, a
list of upcoming featured artists, etc. follows the play list.

Here's what happens on the Fringe when the Bystanders are anything but
innocent...

Fringe -- Episode #19 -- 10 PM to Midnight
WDVX- FM -- Clinton/Knoxville, TN -- January 23, 1999

(Live performances are noted with an asterisk)

Can't Find My Way Back Home -- Rob Ickes -- Slide City -- Rounder
The Train -- Lone Justice -- This World Is Not My Home -- Geffen
If You Wanna Get to Heaven -- Ozark Mountain Daredevils -- Ozark Mountain
Daredevils -- A&M

*Just a Fool -- The Bystanders
*Pine Box -- The Bystanders
*Stars -- The Bystanders

Casey Jones -- The Respatexans -- Almost Famous -- RCA
Metal Firecracker -- Lucinda Williams -- Car Wheels on a Gravel Road --
Mercury

*Shame on Me -- The Bystanders
*Don't Worry -- The Bystanders (a Marty Robbins tune offered up in the
spirit of the Decca theme of Tennessee Saturday Night)
*Love You Too -- The Bystanders

Baby That's Cold -- Vern Gosdin -- The Voice -- BTM
Mystery Dance -- Elvis Costello -- My Aim Is True -- Rykodisc
Biggest Torch in Town -- Mike Ireland & Holler -- Learning How to Live --
Sub Pop

*Hanging Party -- The Bystanders
*Charmed Life -- The Bystanders
*Mammaw -- The Bystanders

She's Left Me for Good Again -- The Bystanders -- The Bystanders
The Prettiest Girl at the Funeral -- Richard Goldman -- Gadfly Pie -- Gadfly
Folding Money -- Radney Foster -- See What You Want to See -- Arista/Austin
I'm In -- Radney Foster -- See What You Want to See -- Arista/Austin

*I Don't Hate You Enough to Make You Cry -- The Bystanders
*My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own -- The Bystanders
* How Much You Lied -- The Bystanders

Lovers of Art -- Waycross -- Waycross

*Same Thing Happens -- The Bystanders
Not In a Million Years -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet

And, then, it was over...

Next week, I look forward to a second great week in a row of live music as
Atlanta's Greta Lee is the scheduled in-studio guest (along with P2's Jon
Byrd).

Here's the schedule so far:

January 30: Greta Lee (live in-studio)
February 6: The Deliberate Strangers

I am hoping to be able to see Ray Charles live in concert on 2/13, so there
may not be a show that night. I'll fill in details as necessary.

In the meantime, why not picture yourself on the Fringe. As the Bystanders
will hopefully attest, it's not as painful as you might think. Send your
music, press kits, cereal box tops, etc. to me at:

Shane Rhyne
208 W. Glenwood Avenue, #2
Knoxville, TN 37917

The Fringe...means never having to say you're sorry.

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NP: Radney Foster, See What You Want to See