On Tuesday, January 26, 1999 3:01 PM, Jon Weisberger
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> >>WKLB, which sponsors a country festival at Great Woods each summer
(with
> >>Nashville headliners) and cosponsors summer events at Indian Ranch in
> >>Webster, has no time slot devoted to local music, but ''that's not to
> >>say there won't be one in the future,'' says music director Ginny
Rogers.

> >     Well, I'll say it:  No, there won't be one in the future.
>
> Now, now, you can never be too sure.  Our biggest local mainstream
country
> station - CMA Large Market Station Of The Year WUBE-FM - recently
allocated
> a hefty 2-hour time slot each week to classic country.  Of course, it's
6-8a
> Sunday morning, and "classic" means from the 1980s...

There is another commercial country station in the Boston market - WCAV in
Brockton.  They have a great Sunday night show, hosted by Ed the Detective.
 Lots of old stuff, and good new stuff, though I don't think he's so much
into the alt.country/rock.  Lately the rest of the week they've mainly been
using syndicated programs, I hae heard (from John Lincoln Wright) that
they're coming off the satellite soon.  That could be good.  PLUS, listing
to WCAV, one gets to hear the Brockton Enterprise jingle, which is truly
the worst jingle ever.

Though Steve Morse's article had some inaccuracies, it's really nice to see
those Harvard Hillbillies get some attention.  I think people forget about
them because they've been around for so damn long.  I love a show that will
play Alan Jackson into Dale Watson into Patty Loveless in Danni Leigh.
 It's worth getting up on Saturday mornings to listen to.  Plus, they're
the nicest guys in the world.

WKLB sponsored a show this summer that Mike Ireland played at.  It was very
funny having to explain who Mike was so the lady from the station could
introduce him.  She was very impressed when I told her they had an album
out on Sire.  I think she thought they were from North Quincy or something.