I couldn't resist sharing this clip from the huge Zevon article Chaco
mentioned.

Carl Z.

---

Goldmine: You've written a couple of songs which would qualify as
country songs, like the one you did with T-Bone Burnett, "Bed Of Coals,"
and "Heartache Spoken Here." Which country artists have made a lasting
impression on you?

Warren Zevon: Well, during the period, and it was around 1970, that
Waddy and I played with the Everly Brothers, at that time I was exposed
to country music. And I think it's safe to say that the single very
impressive figure to me was Merle Haggard. I do remember that Dolly
Parton was just coming out at that time, and was also clearly,
remarkably good. It's something that may be easy to forget about someone
who has become such a superstar personality. But she was an
extraordinarily good singer/songwriter, originally. I remember those
two.