Will Miner wrote:

...lotsa stuff and if only I had time to pick up on it all...  However, I do
disagree with the statement that

>  Garth's
> intentions are really no different from all of those nice alt-country or
> whatever types that most of us like:  he wants to sell a lot of records.
> The main difference is that he's much better at it than any of the
> others.

I think there are a number of artists who actually love what they do - and
some actually make good music while doing it.  It may be that their music is
"uncommercial" and outside the mainstream.  But they love making that music,
they believe in it, and as long as they can make enough money to get by they
will keep on doing it.  This goes (as far as I am concerned) for both Jay
Farrar, who must be living on the edge a little as far as a music career is
concerned, and someone like Neil Young who does what ever he darn well
pleases, fairly confident that he is never going to have to worry about
finding a label to push his "product".

Pumpkinhead, on the other hand, is motivated much more strongly by producing
the kind of bland music that has mass market appeal.  It may be that he thinks
he is doing the best job he can at producing bland music.  Doesnt stop it
being bland.

Stevie