ALBUM SPOTLIGHT
      JOHN SOEDER

    * 01/11/99
      The Plain Dealer  Cleveland, OH
            (Copyright (c) The Plain Dealer 1999)
   *    Artist: Lone Justice
        Title: "This World Is Not My Home"
        Label: Geffen
           *    Comments: If there were any justice, Lone Justice would have
been
     huge. Long before today's bumper crop of alt-country acts such as
     Wilco and Son Volt came along, this critically slobbered-over but
     commercially inconsequential band from Los Angeles worked the middle
     ground between country and post-punk rock 'n' roll, to wonderful
     effect.
        "This World Is Not My Home" provides a long-overdue overview, but
     it hardly qualifies as a greatest-hits package. Feisty singer-
     guitarist Maria McKee and her musical sidekicks notched only a couple
     of minor hits during their short time together. "Shelter," the
     sublime title track of the group's 1986 album, should ring a bell.
     You might also remember the rollicking "I Found Love" and "Ways to Be
     Wicked," a somebody-done-somebody-wrong song co-written by Tom Petty.
        Well worth a listen are some of the more obscure tunes and
     previously unreleased material here, including "Rattlesnake Mama" and
     "Drugstore Cowboy," a twangy outtake from a 1983 demo. You can skip
     the live cover of the Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane," which turns
     into a shouting match between McKee and breathy guest star Bono of
     U2. Not to be missed, though, is "Go Away Little Boy," penned by Bob
     Dylan and originally released as a B-side in the United Kingdom.
     Dylan sits in on the song, as does Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood.
   *    Thanks for the memories, Lone Justice. Now, would a reunion tour
     be asking too much?