The Boudin Barndance - 1/28/99
Dan Ferguson
WRIU-FM, 90.3 Kingston, RI
Thursdays 6-9 pm

It was an evening where we paid respect to both Jimmy Day and Charles Brown.
I feel pretty fortunate to have had the opportunity to see each of these men
perform.  Of Mr. Day, it was over a long weekend in Austin back when Don
Walser was doing his short-lived Friday happy hour thing at Antone's and then
the following Monday evening at Babe's.  Jimmy was on steel for both gigs.
About a year-and-a-half ago, it was a performance at a harvest fair in
Connecticut as once again, part of Ray Price's band.  Heading there, I had no
idea Jimmy was back playing with Ray.  Anyway, being a big time Price fan as
well as owner of the Bear Family box, it seemed the perfect opportunity to get
his signature on the box. Well, lo-and-behold, the wife and I get there early,
find the tour bus, and who's standing outside but Mr. Day.  We talked for
awhile and a more folksy gentleman you'll never meet.  Finally, I asked him if
he wouldn't mind taking the box on the bus and gettin' Ray to put his John
Hancock on it to which Jimmy responded, "Dan, if I were you, I'd high-tale
that thing out of here cause if Ray sees it, he'll stomp it to bits."  Suffice
to say, I kept that box well under wraps for then entire performance.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand and that being this week's playlist.  The
show was just about kickin' into overdrive when the transmitter iced up and
the signal did the same.  Not even The Fendermen/Dazzlers segue could revive
it.

New stuff gettin' first-time Barndance spins included albums from Elena Skye &
her Demolition Band (thanks Elena!), Damnations Tx which is a mighty
impressive record, the Tom Leach quickie live one, the Tom T. Hall tribute,
and a great new domestic rockabilly comp called "Wild Rockabilly" from Lost
Gold Records.  Butt-Shaker of the night?  Don Gardner's "My Baby Likes to
Boogaloo" in a runaway. Onto the goods....

Buck Owens, et al/ Buckaroo / Box Set / Rhino   (intro)

Charles Brown / All My Life / All My Life (Bullseye Blues)
Charles Brown / Bad Bad Whiskey / All My Life (Bullseye Blues)
Charles Brown / Just a Lucky So and So / All My Life (Bullseye Blues)
Charles Brown / A Virus Called Love / All My Life (Bullseye Blues)

Champion Jack Dupree / When I'm Drinkin' / Back Home in New Orleans (Bullseye
Blues)
James Booker / Pixie / Junco Partner (Hannibal)
Howard Armstrong / Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams / Louie Bluie Soundtrack
(Arhoolie)
Chuck Willis / My Baby's On My Mind / Let's Jump Tonight! (Okeh/Legacy)
Don Gardner / My Baby Likes to Boogaloo / Shakin' Fit! (Candy)

Roy Lanham / Stomping at the Savoy / Sizzling Strings (Bear Family)
Brother Oswald / Dobro Chimes / Great Dobro Sessions (Sugar Hill)
J.D. Crowe & New South / Back to the Barrooms / Come on Down to My World
(Rounder)
Jim Lauderdale & Ralph Stanley / I'll Lead You Home / Whisper (RCA)
Bob Egan / Foregiveness / Bob Egan

.....remembering Jimmy .....
Ray Price / Crazy Arms / & Cherokee Cowboys (Bear Family)
Ray Price / I Can't Run Away From Myself / & Cherokee Cowboys (Bear Family)
Jimmy Day / Steel Guitar Rag / Golden Steel Guitar Hits (Philips)
Don Walser / Cowpoke / Texas Souvenir
Johnny Bush / A Moment Isn't Very Long / Talk to My Heart (Watermelon)
Jimmy Day / Cocoanut Grove / Golden Steel Guitar Hits (Philips)
Jimmy Day / Remington Ride / Golden Steel Guitar Hits (Philips)
Jimmy Day / Texas Playboy Rag / Golden Steel Guitar Hits (Philips)
Ray Price / Soft Rain / & Cherokee Cowboys (Bear Family)

Old 97s / Salome / Too Far to Care (Elektra)
Iris DeMent / I Miss a Lot of Trains / Real: The Tom T. Hall Tribute (Sire)
Hadacol / Poorer Than Dead / Better Than Dead (#Past)
Damnations Tx / Unholy Train / Half Mad Moon (Sire)
Old 97s / West Texas Teardrops / Too Far to Care (Elektra)

Elena Skye & Demolition Band / Shuckin' the Corn / One Dog Town (North Hollow)
Elena Skye & Demolition Band / Not to Cry Tonight  / One Dog Town (North
Hollow)
Lonesome Bob / Love is Not Blind / Things Fall Apart (Checkered Past)
Tom Leach / Doris Days / Live (Slow River)
Paul Burch / Percy Lynn's Rag / Wire to Wire (Checkered Past)
Hillbilly Idol / It All Depends On You / Town & Country

....slowly goes the transmitter......
Neko Case & Sadies /My '63 / 7" (Bloodshot)
The Fendermen / Bertha Lou / (Dee Jay Jamboree)
The Dazzlers / Something Baby / Wild Rockabilly Vol. 1 (Lost Gold)
Deke Dickerson / Peroxide Blonde / #1 Hit Record (HMG)
.....going.........and for all you Falcons fans .............
Andy Starr / The Dirty Bird / Dig Them Squeaky Shoes (Bear Family)

Damn ice!

Sorry so long winded.  Enjoy.
Boudin Dan