Dave Alvin taped a session of Austin City Limits last night. An interesting
and typically rousing performance, he was joined by Ted Roddy on harmonica
for a couple of songs and Chris Gaffney and his accordian joined him near
the end. It was interesting because you got to see Dave in an atypical
setting. He stopped the band in the middle of songs because he wanted it to
be right. (Lots of folks that I've seen at these taping just plow straight
through and maybe do a repeat take afterwards.) Anyway the finished
product, when the show airs, will be a good display of his talents as a
songwriter and band leader and I'm sure it'll be something y'all will want
on tape.
Here's the set list with a couple of comments thrown in:
King Of California
Barn Burning (with Ted on harp)
Mary Brown
Border Radio (a drastic re-working of this that made go: WHOA! <g>)
Dry River
Out In California
Abilene
Jubilee Train (medley with Do Re Mi and Promised Land) (Ted on harp)
Blackjack David
Fourth Of July
Marie, Marie (with Ted and Chris)

I'm sure the last one was dedicated to Ms. Arsenault.
Jim, smilin'