[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Just thought I'd be the first to chime in that today (Wed. Feb. 3rd) is
> > the *40th Anniversary* of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy
> > Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper...
>
>         Yup. It's been 40 years since the night God took Buddy Holly and
> spared Waylon Jennings. Kind of perverse on God's part, if you ask me.
>
>         Anyway, I read something interesting about the infamous Winter
> Dance Tour yesterday: it continued on without the three dead headliners,
> substituting Holly-wannabe Bobby Vee as the star! Some things never change
> about the music industry...

Not only that, but according to Waylon, who was in buddy's band, when
they tried to bow out of the gig and go home to the funeral, the
promoter talked them into staying and playing, heartbroken. They finally
agreed and when it was over, he refused to pay them. His reason? "Buddy
wasn't there"! Waylon told us that was when he learned a big lesson
about being in the music business.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records