Well, having recently read Levon's book, I'm not sure I would characterize
it as "nasty," like the author of the Observer does. In fact, I felt it was
directly honest--and refreshingly so. If anything, it seems to reveal a guy
who's still in disbelief that his band--and I'm sure he saw The Band as HIS
band--was "taken away from him." As for his obvious bitterness toward
Robertson, my gut feeling is that he has a point. I don't know the
particulars, of course, but in EVERY single interview I've seen with
Robertson, it seems very important to him that he be perceived as an
introspective, soulful, "thinking man." All of his responses are so weighted
with calculation, and he carries himself with such smug pretension, that I
can hardly bear to watch him. Levon, on the other hand, comes off as a
thoughtful, yet regular guy, someone you'd like to sit down with and share
some beers.

Like Robertson, Greil Marcus is another one who obviously has a stake in
creating a mythology--any mythology will do--and while it may appeal to
some, I find it obnoxious, and every Christmas I wish for it to go away, but
nevertheless, it remains. That being said, Robertson's contributions to The
Band were indeed wonderful, I think Mystery Train is a must-read, and here's
hoping that Helm finds some inner peace before he gets to his own Last
Waltz.

Lance . . .