cheryl wrote:
" remember how people were comparing alternative country music with
the punk movement? The thought crossed my mind (and then was
trampled over by that steamroller called Work, sheesh) that there were a
good solid rack of zines back in the old days that would compare with No
Depression in distribution and influence (Slash, Maximum Rock 'n Roll,
New York Rocker, Search & Destroy, etc.) and a *slew* of smaller
ones."

The paper I worked for in the late 70s and early 80s in DC was one of
the "smaller ones," but it was in all the record stores and clubs where
punk bands played and I think really it made a difference in getting people
out to see us play. I approach booking HTC very similiarly to how I used
to (and still do) book Tru Fax and the Insaniacs -- we're the underground,
 we're different, we're reactionary (punk was a reaction to AOR  and
"altcountry" is  a reaction to HNC), we're putting out our own records
and, as a result, we're getting (and got) critical attention.  And there are
a lot more parallels.
dq