Howdy,

The happy little trailer of WDVX has been blessed to host some of the best
danged live music in East Tennessee for the past few weeks. Recent guests in
Studio C (C stands for "couch," I'm sure) have included Heather Myles, Chris
Knight, Phil Ledbetter and Richard Bennett, and the Freighthoppers.

Not to be outdone, the Fringe had the hopefully not-too-rare opportunity to
host two consecutive weeks of live music. Jan. 23 found the show hosting a
boisterous band of Bystanders from Johnson City (The alliteration would've
worked out better if they'd been from Bristol...) and this week's episode
was (while less boisterous) certainly a high point in WDVX's live music
moments.

Ladies and gentleman... Greta Lee.

Before I dive right into the play list, let me tell you a few things about
Greta Lee and Jon Byrd. First of all, I was pleased as punch to receive the
new disc, "This Ain't Over Yet," back in December, and have been happily
slipping it into the playlist whenever possible.

I casually mentioned in an earlier playlist back at the beginning of January
that I was going to feature that album on 1/30. Gayle Thrower at Radiogram
contacted me almost immediately to say Greta would be happy to come up and
perform live on the show. Keep in mind that, at the time, Greta didn't have
a show booked for the area. Greta was willing to make the trip up from
Atlanta just to play in our little trailer for free. You gotta love that.

Happily, Greta and Jon did get booked a while later at the Bird's Eye View
in Knoxville on the same night so, hopefully, the trip was worthwhile for
them. Of course the show in Knoxville didn't end until 10:30 or so and, on a
rainy night in the mountains, Jon called to apologize for running late and
said they would be heading right over to the studio. Hey, they could have
just as easily blown the show off and stayed warm and happy at the Bird's
Eye where they were getting paid. Bonus points awarded to Greta and Jon.

The live performance on WDVX itself was a great showcase for Greta's
songwriting and voice and gave me yet another chance to introduce the area
(via the airwaves) to some of the best new music being created in our little
alt.country world. Station response has been good and I've had a few folks
ask me when Greta and Jon will be returning to the area. Note to other DJs--
nice folks, great music, real professionals, and a lot of fun-- get 'em on
your show, too.

I've babbled enough. Here's the playlist. I filled the first half of the
show with cuts from Greta's disc while waiting for Greta and Jon to arrive.
Live performances are marked with an asterisk and, yes, there are a couple
of songs that were played live and on disc within the show. Sue me.

Contact information and the usual stuff follows.

Fringe -- Episode #20 -- 10 PM to Midnight
WDVX- FM -- Clinton/Knoxville, TN -- January 30, 1999

Cas Walker Theme -- Dolly Parton -- Heartsongs -- Blue Eye
Great Balls of Fire -- New Grass Revival -- New Grass Revival -- Hollywood
Looking for the Killerman -- Kevin Gordon -- Cadillac Jack's #1 Son --
Shanachie
Breathless -- Jerry Lee Lewis -- The Jerry Lee Lewis Anthology -- Rhino

I Hate the Cold -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet
I Don't Understand -- Bob Egan -- Bob Egan
That Thang -- Al Anderson -- Pay Before You Pump -- Imprint
I'm Convicted -- Bad Livers -- Industry and Thrift -- Sugar Hill

Not in a Million Years -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet
Family Reserve -- Lyle Lovett -- Joshua Judges Ruth -- MCA/Curb
Tulsa Telephone Book -- Calexico -- Real: The Tom T. Hall Project -- Sire

Somebody New -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet
They Say There's A Time -- R.B. Morris -- Take That Ride -- Oh Boy
You Were So Right -- Radney Foster -- See What You Want to See --
Arista/Austin

Hanging Blue Side -- Son Volt -- Wide Swing Tremolo -- Warner Brothers
(2/2@Bijou)
My Name Joe -- David Massengill -- Legacy -- High Street Records (2/4@Down
Home)
Take Me to the River -- Bill Mize -- Coastin' -- Moon Pie in the Sky
(2/5@Down Home)
It Must Be Heaven -- One Riot One Ranger -- Side Tracks -- Hayden's Ferry
(2/11@Bird's Eye View)

*He Ain't Comin' Here -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet
* Silly Me -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet (one of my requests...)
*As Good As It Gets -- Greta Lee -- unreleased (in which I nearly choked to
death trying not to cough while she sang...)

Money Honey -- Elvis Presley -- Elvis 56 -- RCA
Wave a White Flag -- Elvis Costello -- My Aim is True -- Rykodisc
I Always Follow -- Buck Diaz -- Buck Diaz

*Not in a Million Years -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet
*The Way I Am -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet
*Run Away -- Greta Lee -- This Ain't Over Yet (another request by moi...)

Box of Pine -- The Deliberate Strangers -- Mood Music for Snake Handlers --
Payday

And there you go, another night on the Fringe ends with no permanent damage
done.

Thanks again to Greta and Jon for making the trip up from Atlanta. I truly
enjoyed the opportunity to meet y'all.

Now, when am I going to meet the rest of you? Well, let's start off slow...
send me your discs first, then follow up with flowers, Krispie Kreme donuts,
Cherry Cokes, and something frilly at:

Shane Rhyne
208 W. Glenwood Avenue, #2
Knoxville, TN 37917

Next week's featured artists: The Deliberate Strangers

Until then...

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NP: The Countrypolitans, Tired of Drowning (yep, I like this one)