What is hardcore country?
Is it like a mixture of hardcore (punk, that is) and country, or is it
some kind of pure country going back to it's roots (like, maybe, The
Carter or Watson families)?

And, maybe, Garth doesn't epitomize everything that's wrong with
Nashville.
And I assume he probably isn't the worst.
But if he isn't, I hope I never ever get the chance to hear the worst
(especially the way all of us have a chance to hear Garth, around every
turn, there he is).

The influence thing is another story.  I think he is already
(negatively) influencing lot's of people (notice I did not say artist,
cause these guys aren't, unless they design their own stupid looking
shirts and dance rutines--i.e. they don't write or even perform [yes, I
said perform--I'd like to see the band Garth Brooks put together before
the label was involved] the songs they present as their own).

Oh yeah, The Gourds do sound a little (sometimes a lot) like The Band.
The influence was not intentional until everyone started telling them
exactly what you just said.  Then, they started listening to The Band,
and, subsequently, got a little more Band-like ('cause The Band was
amazing).  The two new members extreme badassness help to make the
Band-like songs (and Band covers, too) sound even more like the real
thing.

--Matt Cook

"Billie Joel is my hero"--Garth Brooks