>> There are several lesbians in country music who have done quite well.
>
>       Oh really? By all means, name even one successful *openly*
>gay country artist, male or female.

     Yeah, this baffled me, too.  Who (short of spreading unsubstantiated
rumors, of course)?  And by what terms is "quite well" defined?  10,000
copies of an indie release sold, or actual top 40 hits?

>It's still considered the commerical kiss of death to publicly cop
>to same sex orientation in country circles. It's a fact, jack.

     Yeah, it might be coincidence, but remember how quickly Randy Travis
married his manager several years back when the rumors about him reached
a certain critical mass.  A lot of the old taboos have fallen in the last
ten years or so, but that's still the Big One.  The eventual emergence of
the first openly gay country music star is going to be one of the more
fascinating milestones in country music when it finally happens.
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                   Wollaston, Massachusetts