Hey,

I noticed some things in the last digest and felt like chiming in.

There sure are a lotta grumpy people out there...it's amazing when your read
a whole days worth of posts in 5 to 10 minutes.  :^)

Best of so far: Since I love lists I'm compiling my "Best CDs of 1998 that I
found out about because of other people's Top Ten lists List."  Most are
from your lists posted on P2 and most are non-twang bands.  It's weird that
I would go to a twang list for recommendation on rock albums (and not go to
a rock list for recommendations of twang albums) but you all seem to fit my
tastes pretty well.  As far as 1999 goes I haven't really been blown away by
anything yet.  At the risk of sounding like the weasel that I am, though, I
will say that the upcoming Terry Allen CD and Jimmy Murphy reissue (in
March) are the best of '99 so far.  The only other album I really like is
Ian Brennan's "Teacher's Pet" but that might be 98.

Another teaser: I just got a copy of an oldtime album that will only be sold
with the paperback version of Charles Frazier's "Cold Mountain."  If you
haven't read the book, it's awesome.  Wait until 3/23 though to buy it
because you really have to hear this CD.  It's from Dirk Powell, John
Hermann and Tim O'Brien and it's the best oldtime CD I've heard in over a
year.  18 stunning tracks inspired by the book.  Most are traditional,
though there are some originals that fit in perfect with the others.  The CD
isn't on Sugar Hill, so I'm not being weasley this time.  It is on Howdy
Skies Records which I think is Tim's own label...however, as I said, this is
only sold with the book.  Track listing includes "Cluck Old Hen" "Hard
Times" "Angel Band" "The Blackest Crow" "Mole in the Ground" "Backstep
Cindy" and a load of others.  This CD is worthy of a year end Top Ten.

Hippie Music of the 60s: I would much rather listen to the Stooges, the MC5
and the Velvet Underground.  A lot of those hippie bands have a song I like
(such as Jefferson Hairplane's "White Rabbit") but their years and years of
stinking crap has warped my former opinions and made me hate everything
they've done.  I mean, they are playing in Raleigh soon, for crissakes!
(with, I think, one original member!)  I also like Phil Ochs, btw.

House Concerts: We had an awesome house concert with Alejandro Escovedo the
other night.  Read about it in a big article in the News and Observer
online:

http://www.news-observer.com/daily/1999/02/05/day00.html

I won't go into many specifics because I'm sure you've heard some of the
stories before (and I couldn't even come close to doing them justice with a
paraphrase).  This was my first time to see Alejandro and he knocked me, and
everyone else, out.  At the end of the show I said that we had never had
anything so close to chamber music, and we'd never had anything so close to
punk rock before...and I thanked him.  I was honored just to see and talk to
the guy.  To find out he was incredibly nice and such a gentlemen was a
great bonus.  By the way, Chip Robinson from the Backsliders came up and
duetted with Alejandro at one point on "Nickel and a Spoon" (is that
right?).  Also, Lynn from Glory Fountain sang "Pale Blue Eyes" with him.

Sparklehorse: I've never heard Sparklehorse but I know a lot of you are fans
so I'm going to check them out when they play in town.  Varnaline is opening
and I absolutely love them.  If I were to redo my topten from 98 they'd
probably be in the Top 5. That should be a great show.

Ray Price: I love the guy.  I must admit that I ignore the stuff past the
honky tonk years and live in bliss.  I have the one CD "essential" recording
from Columbia and would recommend it to anyone with ears.  I've been saving
up for the Bear Family box.  A few weeks ago I played about 10 Ray Price
songs in a row on a whim because I like him so much...thank god for college
radio.

Macs vs. PCs: When I lived in the Bay Area I had a Mac and thought about 80%
of the rest of the world did too.  Then I moved to NC and I spent months
before I ever even ran across someone who had one.  I now have a PC and am
totally happy with it.  Macs are great, but the cheaper PCs with software
and peripherals available everywhere is quite nice.  Julia, here at work,
just got a G3 and is happy with it, though.  She's a designin' type, though,
so that makes sense.

Stranglmartin: I've been enjoying a new tape from a band called
Stranglmartin that a friend made for me recently.  To me they sound halfway
in between Slobberbone and New York Noise.  Great stuff.  I know nothing
about the band however.

Lou Ford: What I've heard I've liked.  After my shift on WXDU is the live
local music show.  They've played there before, too, but I've never seen
them live in a club.  There's a ton of music in this town and it's hard to
keep up.  My new favorite band, as you all know by now, is the Carbines.

Bing Crosby: Bing is in my favorite musical.  "High Society" with Louie
Armstrong, Frank Sinatra and the most beautiful woman ever to walk the
planet, Grace Kelly.

Damnations TX: Still haven't heard them.

Ok, that was kinda long I know.  Easier to delete than 50 short ones,
though. :^)

Cheers.
Steve
Steve Gardner * Sugar Hill Records Radio Promotion
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.sugarhillrecords.com
WXDU "Topsoil" * A Century of Country Music
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.topsoil.net