Jon J wrote about cueers in quountry music:
     >A lot of the old taboos have fallen in the last ten years or so, but
     >that's still the Big One.  The eventual emergence of the first openly
     >gay country music star is going to be one of the more fascinating
     >milestones in country music when it finally happens.

     Not that I believe in polls exactly, but there was an interesting
     survey showing last year showing that homophobia truly is the last
     bastion of open intolerance in America. The authors did in-depth
     interviews with hundreds of very average middle-class people across
     the country, found them much more open-minded about race than anyone
     expected (tons of them brought up family members who were in
     interracial couples as a factor that made them reevaluate prejudice),
     but quite virulent in opposition to homosexuality. Though most of them
     stopped short of hate-mongering, or even saying it should be a crime
     etc, they did honestly think it a sin. And disgusting too of course.
     That'd pretty much be the soccer-mom demographic country radio aims
     for, and I'd be pretty surprised if a gay or lesbian country star can
     break through before this changes. (Which I foolishly imagine it will
     by the time today's late-adolescents are grown, because no reasonably
     educated kids I meet now seem to be shocked by homosexuality anymore.
     But y'never know.)

     Not that rock-based pop music or, for god's sakes, hip-hop are
     terrifically open-minded on the matter either, but it is pretty hard
     to imagine even a country equivalent of Marilyn Manson's level of
     androgyny (a good example since he makes a big deal of being
     straight), much less an out-and-proud pop twanger.

     carl w.