Emmylou Harris carries on crusade against music categories
      BRIAN MCCOLLUM
    * 02/07/99
      The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
            (Copyright 1999)
        What's in a name  or a music category? You can bet that an
     Emmylou  Harris song filed under any of them would sound as sweet.
        Harris, keen song interpreter and bearer of that golden voice,
     certainly knows something about getting pigeonholed across the
     musical map. Three  decades into a versatile career, she can recite
     the definitions by heart.
        "If it sells, it's country," she said laughing. "If it doesn't,
     it's  folk."
        Harris inhabits a dusky stylistic world that has long tripped up
     critics, a place that's both rural and cosmopolitan, traditional and
     progressive.  Her name turns up in annals of rock, pop, country and
     folk, as she maintains her lifelong crusade, as she says, to "fight
     against categories."
        Meanwhile, as her adopted home of Nashville has turned its sights
     over  the last decade toward younger, pop-oriented acts, it's not
     surprising that she's seen her place on the country charts usurped.
        Like so many who have idealized American roots music, Harris
     understands that her yearning for a richer culture might be
     hopelessly  romantic in the face of commercial demands.
   *    "I always had a vision of country music that never realized
     itself,"  she said. "It's odd. I never really came from Nashville.
     I live here,  but I was always just circling."
        She's quit listening to country radio  "maybe I'm missing
     something,"  she said diplomatically  and keeps her ears tuned now to
     a modest  but limber local station that plays everything from Fats
     Domino  to Patty Griffin.
        "There are obviously a lot of talented people out there, but
     they're  struggling," she said. "But, you know, music  good music
     is always going to survive. And ultimately history will be the judge
     of what we remember  and what touches us. I feel like there's
     fantastic music being made now,  and always has been."
        Harris says she felt right at home last summer when she played a
     string of dates on the Lilith Fair tour, the traveling contingent of

     female  artists that became the year's biggest rock festival. She
     immediately  became a fan of left-field rocker Liz Phair and groove
     band Luscious  Jackson.
        "It's great to be around creative people, to see the variety of
     music  that's out there," she said. "You don't get a chance, when
     you're an  artist, to see as many people live as you'd like. You're
     always on the  road."
        Last year was supposed to be Harris' break from work. As it
     turned  out, she said, "it became a kind of running joke about Emmy's
     year off."
        Not long after Lilith came the release of "Spyboy," showcasing
     Harris' concert work with her top-notch backing band, the album's
     namesake. As  much a career retrospective as a concert disc, it
     featured a rare live  recording of her legendary "Boulder to
     Birmingham," a track from the 1975 debut album she recorded shortly
     after the death of mentor Gram Parsons.
        So now 1999 is the official year off; aside from occasional gigs,
     Harris is keeping herself at home to write songs. Already recorded
     and due out soon is "Trio II," with Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton.

   *    She says she envies artists such as country rocker Steve Earle,
     who  "spoils it for the rest of us" by effortlessly writing on the

     road.
        "You can't wait around for that muse. This is a job," she said
     with  a laugh. "But you do have to give yourself the time. You have
     to cordon  yourself off from distractions and force yourself to wait
     for the muse."