RIP Andy's Chicago Shows list.  It was, in a word, comprehensive.  I always
was able to pick up a show or two from it, and it was my most reliable source
for amazing band names.  Andy was faithful to his labor of love for three
years, and when he lost the passion for it, he was smart enough to quit.  So.
. .I'll just salute the happy marriage in which he just seems to have found
better things to do with his time, and
soldier on huddled against the wind in the rockin' business of our beloved
metropolis' nightlife diary-keepin' business.

Speakin' of which, hat's off to our mare today.

HAVE FUN!

Special days copped from Heather's Li'l Country Calendar, available for $12
from The Record Roundup, 2034 W. Montrose

*= new or revised since last time

*2/12: 6-9 p.m. Charles Kim (Pinetop Seven) and Jeff Parker (Tortoise) invent
music together at Hot House
2/12:  House of Large Sizes at Lounge Ax
2/12:  Chris & Heather's Record Roundup at the Hideout, featuring Chris Ligon
and The Heatersons (Chris' kid brother's killer band)
2/12:  Semisonic at the Vic
2/12:  Big Hello at Gunther Murphy's
*2/13:  Robbie Fulks at Martyrs
2/13:  Orquesta Nabori, maybe Chicago's best salsa dance band, plays the
annual Valentine's benefit for the Nicaragua Solidarity Committee at the most
trenchantly progressive establishment in Chicago since it was founded by a
hippie commune, the Heartland Cafe in Rogers Park (six blocks from my house).
2/13:  Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire at the Hideout
2/13:  NRBQ w/ Steve Ferguson at FitzGeralds
*2/13:  Edith Frost/Lullaby for the Working Class at the Empty Bottle, Chris
Mills opens
2/13:  Scrawl at Lounge Ax
2/13:  Casolando Valentine's Eve show at Schubas
2/13:  The Cardigans at Metro
2/14:  The Black Crowes at the Aragon
2/15:  Matt Groening's birthday
2/15-16:  Mardi Gras with Terrance Simien at FitzGerald's (2/15 there's a
Jambalaya cookoff with celebrity judges!)
2/15:  Boys Choir of Harlem at Symphony Center
2/16:  George Jones 'n' Tammy Wynette's anniversary
2/16:  RELS:  The Damnations TX (YAY!!); Re-ish: Flaco Jimenez
2/17:  Robbie Fulks at Goose Island Brewery
2/17:  Lloyd Maines, Terri Hendrix, Cole Rain at Schubas
2/18:  Nick Drake's birthday
2/18:  Devil in a Woodpile at Martyr's
2/18:  LeRoy Bach (sez here he recorded and toured with Wilco and Liz Phair),
Gina Forsyth (fiddler/songwriter from New Orleans), Cow Lily in the Honky Tonk
Living Room at the Hideout
NDTV:  Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band on Conan
2/19:  Number One Cup at Lounge Ax
*2/19: Terri Hendrix, Lloyd Maines and Trigger Gospel at the Hideout
2/19/1878:  Record player invented
2/19:  Ellis Paul at Schubas
2/19:  Anna Fermin's Trigger Gospel at the Hideout
*2/20: 8 p.m., Jeff Tweedy and Leroy Bach play at the Hot House to benefit
Community Outreach Intervention Projects (COIP), a street based HIV prevention
program for disenfrachised substance users in Chicago.  I just heard a rumor
Diane Izzo may also be on this bill.
2/20:  Robert Altman's birthday
2/20:  Volo Bogtrotters at the Hideout
2/20:  The Silos, Susan Voelz, The Mary Janes at Double Door
2/20:  Dave Alvin & The Guilty Men w/Terri Hendrix and Lloyd Maines at
FitzGerald's
2/20:  Iris DeMent at the Old Town School
2/20:  June of '44 at Lounge Ax
2/21/1965:  Malcolm X killed
2/20 & 21:  Lauryn Hill at the Chicago Theater (sold out)
2/21:  Benefit for School of the Americas Watch, a movement to close the U.S.
funded training ground for the national guards of dictatorships, 2 p.m. at St.
Scholastica Auditorium, 7416 N. Ridge Ave.  SOAW founder Fr. Roy Bourgeois
will speak; the music program will feature Chicago activist band Voices.
2/22:  Spade Cooley's birthday
2/23/1972:  Elvis and Priscilla divorce
2/23:  RELS: Steve Earle and the Del McDoury Band, Waco Brothers, Sebadoh,
Paul Westerberg, Kelly Willis, Farmer Tan; Re-ish--Dave Edmunds, Merle
Haggard, Lightnin' Hopkins, Johnny Cash, The Meat Puppets, Ricky Nelson,
Willie Nelson
2/23:  James McMurtry at FitzGeralds
2/23:  Citizen King at Metro  (disclosure:  My nephew road manages them)
2/24:  Robbie Fulks at Goose Island Brewery
2/24/1991:  Webb Pierce dies
2/24:  Waco World listening party at Delilah's
2/24:  Hoot Night at Schubas:  Songs about Boys' Names
2/25:  Robbie Fulks at Chicago Cultural Center
2/25:  Birthday of Faron Young and Ralph Stanley
*2/25:  Mudhoney at Lounge Ax
2/25-26:  Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band at the VIC
2/26:  Johnny Cash's birthday
*2/26:  Alvin Youngblood Hart at Schubas; Deanna Varagona opens
2/26-27:  Marcia Ball at FitzGeralds; 2/27 is with Bill Kirchen!
*2/27:  Devil in a Woodpile, The Blacks and Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire at
Double Door.  Wotta bill!
2/27:  Tommy Womack at Lakeside Lounge in NYC
2/27:  John Steinbeck's birthday
2/27:  Marlee MacLeod, 8 p.m. at Borders Books & Music, Evanston
2/27:  Tito Puente at House of Blues
2/27:  David Grubbs at the Empty Bottle
2/27 & 28:  Waco Brothers "Waco World" release party at Schubas
*2/28  Jeff Tweedy at Lounge Ax
3/1:  Anniversary of Johnny and June Carter Cash
*3/2:  Jeff Tweedy at Lounge Ax
3/2:  Birthday of Doc Watson and Dr. Seuss
3/2:  RE-ISH-Marvin Gaye, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson
*3/4:  Cash Money at the Empty Bottle
3/4:  John Duffey's birthday
3/4  Dan Black of the Black Family in the Honky Tonk Living Room at the
Hideout
3/4:  Sir George Martin presents a multi-media show on the making of Sgt.
Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
3/5:  Jeff Tweedy solo at Harper College
3/5/1963:  We lose Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas and Hawkshaw Hawkins
3/5:  Afghan Whigs at Metro
*3/6:  Hank Williams III at Lounge Ax
3/6:  Bob Wills' birthday
3/6:  Bluegrass & BBQ with the Reno Brothers and Special Consensus at
FitzGeralds
3/6:  Don Walser & The Pure Texas Band at the Old Town School; Hot Club of
Cowtown opens
3/6:  Bloodshot CD release party:  The Riptones, at Schubas
3/7:  Townes Van Zandt's birthday
3/9:  RELS:  WILCO, Citizen King, Joe Henry, Van Morrison; RE-ISH Afghan
Whigs, Roky Erickson, Kinky Friedman, Elvis Presley
3/10:  Brian Wilson at the Rosemont Theater
3/11:  Fred Eaglesmith at FitzGeralds
3/11:  Salt n Pepa at House of Blues
3/12:  Jack Kerouac's birthday
3/12:  Brave Combo (the Aristotillian ideal wedding band) at FitzGeralds
3/12: Blind Boys of Alabama at the Old Town School
3/12:  Dan Bern at 8; Split Lip Rayfield and Slobberbone at 10 at Schubas
3/13/1975:  George and Tammy divorce
3/13:  Gladys Knight w/The Temptations at Arie Crown
*3/14:  Liz Phair at Lounge Ax
3/14-15:  Joe Henry at Schubas
3/16:  RELS- Terry Allen, Jeff Beck, Mojo Nixon, Chris Smither; RE-ISH Meat
Puppets, Graham Parker, Television
3/18:  Birthday of Charley Pride and Wilson Pickett
3/19: NDTV:  Steve Earle & the Del McCoury Band on Conan
3/22:  Birthday of Charlie Poole
3/23: RELS: Mary Lee's Corvette, John Dee Graham, Bill Lloyd, Iggy Pop, Steve
Wynn; RE-ISH Dave Edmunds, John Fahey
3/24-25:  Freedy Johnson at Schubas
3/25:  Freakwater at the Chicago Cultural Center
3/25:  Birthday of Marlee MacLeod, Robbie Fulks, Hoyt Axton and Aretha
Franklin
3/26:  Tennessee Williams' birthday
3/26:  Dr. Demento plays Oshkosh, WI if yer lookin' for a road trip
3/27: Jimmy LaFave at FitzGeralds
*3/27:  Rufus Wainright at Park West
3/30:  RE-ISH Meat Puppets
3/31:  Bob Egan at Schubas
3/31:  Lefty Frizzell's birthday
4/1:  NDTV - Wilco on Letterman
*4/1-2:  Kelly Willis with Bruce Robinson at Schubas
4/1:  Anndrena Belcher (singer/storyteller/dressmaker from the Smokey
Mountains) in the Honky Tonk Living Room at the Hideout
4/4:  Dick Dale at House of Blues
4/6:  RELS: Tom Petty, Shaver
4/8  Chris Mills and from S.F. Red Meat in the Honky Tonk Living Room at the
Hideout
4/17:  Kate & Anna McGarrigle at The Old Town School
4/27:  RELS:  Backsliders
5/8:  Chris Smither and Steve Forbert at the Old Town School

WORST Band Name O' the Week:  Nothingface

??? of the week:  Lauren Hill's two Chicago Theater shows have been sold out
for a month, so go figure the full page ad in this week's reader.  Guess
they're advertising that Levi's is the sponsor, maybe.  Me, I wear Wranglers.
Slimline, boot cut.  Thank you.

Devil in a Woodpile Tuesdays at the Hideout, Sundays at Merle's BBQ in
Evanston.  Wednesday, Rob and Nan Bloodshot alternate on good country
turntable at Delilah's.  Torch piano-and-bass impresario Patricia Barber
follows the original and still champion Uptown Poetry Slam at the Green Mill
Sundays.  And there's always The Blue Man Group until further notice.

PHONE FIRST!

Double Door     773-489-3160

Empty Bottle    773-276-3600

FitzGeralds             708-788-2118

Hideout                 773-227-4433

Hot House       312-362-9707 (just call when you're bored with life or music
and see what's going on there.  I never know the bands but it's always an
interesting evening)

House of Blues  312-923-2000

Lounge Ax       773-525-6620

Metro                   773-549-0203

Old Town School  773-728-6000

Schubas                 773-525-2508

"THANKS TO:  . . .the bands . . . with the courage to play their own music
(you know who you are)."  from the liner notes of No Depression