I found a fairly lengthy AP-sourced story on the subject at:

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicCountry/feb12_garth.html

And from Country Now, this quote:

>Garth Brooks will attend spring training with the San Diego Padres as a
non-roster invitee. >He'll play the outfield and wear No. 77. The singer's
realistic goal? "For these guys to look >at me and say, 'If you'd gotten to
invest your time from early on . . . you could've played in >this league,'"
says Garth.

Which sounds like at least a faintly plausible goal <g>.  I'll say this,
though: I'll bet he's no Jim Reeves on the diamond.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/