Jeff Wall wrote:

> I get to interview Steve Young, football player and folksinger.
>
> All I know about him is that he recorded one of the greatest alt-country
> albums of all time, Lonesome, Ornery, and Mean. He also wrote Seven Bridges
> Road that the Eagles made a shitload of money with. Waylon covered
> Lonesome, Ornery, and Mean as well.
>
> I know he used to live in Nashville (we have mutual friends) and now lives
> out in Californiaweird.

As for his early recording career, You could ask him
about his 1968 A&M sessions for his "Rock Salt and
Nails" LP, which featured James Burton, Gene Clark,
Gram Parsons, Chris Ethridge and Richard Greene,
among others.

He was in a band in the late '60's called "Stone Country"
which apparently recorded an album for RCA.

His guitar picking is all over a hard-to-find Patsy and
Elmo LP, "Gospel Snake", recorded in 1972, when they
were billing themselves as "The Homestead Act". The LP
features 4 songs written by Young, as well as one written
by his then-wife, Cheryl.

In recent years, he's toured a lot in Europe and England.
apparently he's more well-known there than here.

Personally, I find myself listening more to his most
recent "Switchblades of Love" album than his older
stuff. Find out if he's got something new in the works.

-jp