Nancy writes;
>  the trailer park. Sorry, but I agree, it sucks. We had a similar event in
>  Memphis called Crossroads, and it also bites ass. I just don't do them
>  anymore.

       I dunno, just from our little world I've seen Neko Case, The
Damnations, Hadacol, The Gourds, Hot Club of Cowtown, Asylum St. Spankers, and
many others on the line-up.  Those are folks that, while they may be nearing
"established" status in the alt.country world, certainly would qualify as
"largely unknown" in the more broadly defined universe of folks who go to
SXSW.  If it takes acts like Lucinda and others on top of a bill to make sure
folks show up and see acts like that then I'd have to say there's still a lot
of good that can be done by having SXSW around.
     If I have one major complaint (as a non-bizzer) about SXSW it's the
bloody wristband price, especially for out-of-towners.  I'm hoping to get a
$65 "early-bird" one, but for those that can't score one of those it's $95,
which is pretty damn daunting.  If there's anything that's cutting down on the
number of just plain ol' music fans showing up I would imagine that has a
little bit to do with it.
      But mainly I like SXSW because the one year I went ('91) I saw Mojo
Nixon openly castigate all the A&R people at Liberty Lunch for witnessing
Killbilly play an incendiary set and not signing them.  Luckily, Flying Fish
did later that weekend.

Dan