At 01:30 AM 2/19/1999 Ron Warnick wrote:

>       I'm looking for an economically priced CD of Bob Wills' greatest hits,
>preferably with his best lineup. The Tiffany Transcriptions look great, but
>there's a bazillion volumes of the thing. A double-CD collection would be
>acceptable. Any suggestions?

If "econonically priced" is your primary concern, the best value is
probably the Sony THE ESSENTIAL BOB WILLS, with 20 tracks, most all of them
truly essential, for $11.99. (Or less) Volume 2 of the Tiffany
Transciptions is a best of, with arguably his best band, 14 tracks for the
same price. I've got the two-disc Rhino ANTHOLOGY, which has 32 tracks, 12
more tracks (and adds Cherokee Maiden, Big Beaver, Blues For Dixie, and
Faded Love among the 12 others) than the Sony disc, but lists for $28.49.
When I first read your question, I'd have said to buy the Rhino set, but I
could see buying the Sony ESSENTIAL and one or two of the Tiffany
Transcriptions (which are very similar) and come in at roughly the same or
less money.

my two cents,
b.s.
"The truth ain't always what we need, sometimes we need to hear a beautiful
lie." -Bill Lloyd