Louise says:

> I think Jimmy Olander is such a cool guitarist, and Dan Truman is such a
> swingy pianist, and Gene Johnson is a marvellous mandolin player. 'Poultry
> Promenade' from their first album is still one of my favourite modern
> instrumentals. I don't think they get half the credit they
> deserve from the so called serious music press on account of their
sometimes
> 'cheesy' material.
>
> Any one else agree?

Well, I guess I do, though their last album didn't do much for me, other
than the excellent "What More Do You Want From Me," which was done better by
Rhonda Vincent on her Trouble Free.  But they're a solid outfit with some
great singing - bluegrass-derived, of course <g>, and they come by it
honestly; there are still Marty Roe fans out there who picked up on him
during his bluegrass days, and of course Dana is a nephew of the Osborne
Brothers.  By chance, I just got a copy of the Best Of Cliff Waldron
(Rebel), and was reminded that Gene spent some time working for Cliff - in
fact, it must have been about his first real job, because he went with
Second Generation after that, then (briefly) with J. D. Crowe's New South
before making the big move to Nashville.  He keeps his hand in on the
bluegrass, too; check out his higher'n-a-dog-whistle tenor to Don Rigsby
(with Ricky Skaggs singing baritone) on "Forty Years of Trouble" from Aubrey
Haynie's excellent Doin' My Time CD (Sugar Hill).

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/