Well, usually the amount that a band gets paid is not really shared, but here
goes, in hopes that this will help all of you.... musicians and people who
book them...

Musicians do bookstore gigs for fun and food sometimes, but I can't imagine
that unless the owner is a good friend. Since I am trying to make a living I
really dig cash. So does my band. Most of the bookstores here are corp. owned
anyway. It is not often that I would ever ask my band to play for free, and
only if it is for a good deed like Friends for Life, or something that is
entirely self serving that will help further my career (insert big grin here).
If we had a cool store that was owned by Cheryl here, then I might be able to
swing some freebies, depending on how good the cheesecake is.

Musician's always seem to do a much better job when they get paid though. (You
know that old saying you get what you pay for.) It can be money, beer, food,
car parts, but something.

I play at Davis Kidd alot and used to get $45 cash and $45 gift certificate,
plus what ever I could eat for myself and any band members or I bring.

These are 7-9 pm gigs on a Fri or Sat evening, and leaves time to still work
another gig. I asked DK if I could just get all money a while back, because I
wanted to regulary bring my other guitar player, or steel, fiddle or something
to make it more fun instead of solo, so they said ok and give me $100 now,
plus the food etc. (the guys buy thier own beer). The store also sells my cd
and sets up a display and they buy the records from me wholesale. I usually do
these 2 piece, 2 sets. Last time I brought a 3 rd person and the store loved
it. It is not unusual to get tips. Once I got a $50 tip from one man there,
but I never set up a tip jar. THe store would not dig that.

Borders is a similar thing, but I get $150 cash, and $50 certificate. We also
get free food. These gigs are from 7:30 to 9:30 or 10, Fri and Sat nights. The
place is out of the way from most places I would play, so another gig the same
night is tough. They also sell cds they buy at wholesale.

Noontime gigs are usually about $35 plus food. I can eat alot too, so I make
up for it there. Especially if there is red velvet cake. I have not done any
of these in ages though, but used to do every Sat lunch at one for about a
year.

Ironically, many people think book store gigs suck, but I really like them.
Kids and families can come, all ages. It's cool. I just booked another Davis
Kidd gig last night. Week before last when I played there my drummer brought
along a snare and we rocked a little. It was funny, because all these little
kids are there with thier parents rockin out. So here I am, signing autographs
for our next generation of twangers who talked their folks into buying my CD.
My drummer says, "I can't believe their parents bring them out — do they
realize all the drinkin and cheatin songs you do."

I am trying to learn some new stuff now. Probably why I have not played any
weddings in a long time! We'll have wedding 101 at a later date.

SOme of these book store gigs are cool because you can actually make more
money per person on some than in a club. It is not uncommon in Memphis for a
club to have you work for the door only, minus 20 percent they take off the
top. Then they don't advertise and no one knows you are there. Oh, and you
bring the PA.

By the way, at all the bookstore gigs I do, I bring my own PA. I dig being
louder that the help behind the counter serving food. It would be impossible
to do these gigs without a PA. They like to have you ringing out thru out the
store.

So there ya go. Ah, but it is still fun to sit on a corner down on Beale
Street and play for tourists for whatever they toss in your guitar case. That,
sometimes pays better than the clubs even!

Over and out,

Nancy
still keeping my mouth shut about certain industry cattle calls.