In a message dated 2/19/99 2:35:54 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Borders is a similar thing, but I get $150 cash, and $50 certificate. We
also
 get free food. These gigs are from 7:30 to 9:30 or 10, Fri and Sat nights.
The
 place is out of the way from most places I would play, so another gig the
same
 night is tough. They also sell cds they buy at wholesale. >>

Sometimes you can work it so the store will let you sell your own CDs.  The
Evanston Borders does that all the time.   Very, very smart to bring your own
PA.  The store will have one rig they use for lectures, readings and solo
accoustic performers.  If you're really lucky they might have all of two fuzzy
vocal mikes, but probably one of the mike stands is missing.

Do not ever play a corp. bookstore or record store for free, just on general
principles.

Linda