><< Other than the Sovines version, and J.D.'s version, I've not heard anyone
> else do it (sans Townes hisself..duh). >>

I think it was the Earle version that gave it critical mass, Jeff...I'm
referring to live versions.
At shows for the last couple of years, it's become probably the single most
common alt.country encore--from the rock side, hard country side, upside
the head side,  bluegrass side...every side.
    In a dizzying week at SXSW, you hear it a lot--and why not!
Didn't somebody do a good one at Twangfest even--'98 or '97?

Barry

PS: To Slim: If The Jets get back ahead  (which they just got to be not)
and take on Atlanta...well then--have a good time!   The idea of the
S'Bowl's almost always more interesting than the game anyway.
    Hold out for White Freightliner at half-time?
B.