> Actually, she probably deserves this since she's the only country chicky
> that I know of who actually plays guitar (with her hands, smart
> guy)...Don't pick on Deana - I love the Hairy Legs record, but I haven't
> heard the new one, but I will.

The couple of times I've seen her on TV, she's been guitar-less.  I imagine
that, like many other singers, both male and female, she's decided, at least
on occasion, that there's not much point, which is true enough.  When was
the last time you saw Loretta Lynn holding, never mind actually playing, a
guitar?  I think she quit doing it about 1970, around the same time George
Jones did - in fact, now that I think about it, around the same time a lot
of folks did, probably as a minor concession, if a concession at all, to a
less hillbilly appearance.  I'll bet no one had to argue with Loretta,
George or most of the others very much.

Anyhow, there are, *of course*, a ton of female country musicians - that is,
bluegrassers - who actually play guitar; to name just one obvious example,
the fabulous Lynn Morris.  In fact, bluegrass seems to be about the only
style around in which it is still not o.k. to "just" sing.  Note that
Gibson, which has made noises about establishing a bluegrass museum on its
Nashville premises, didn't deem the style worthy of awards of its own, nor
deem its musicians accomplished enough to be considered with guitarists in
general such as the esteemed Ms Love; I mean, no offense, really, but Steve
Earle the best male acoustic guitar player?  Where does that leave Watson,
Rice, Sutton, Crary, Jones, Grier, White and dozens more?  Anyhow, the
absence of bluegrass/bluegrassers or a bluegrass award doesn't jibe well
with the museum plan; I wonder which is the more accurate gauge of their
interests?

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/