Inspired by P2 accolades for Mike Nicolai, I caught a short set of his last night at a coffeehouse known mostly for f**k music.  I thought his songwriting was a blast; really imaginative without a hint of coyness and ultimately very personal.  I like this guy. His singing reminds me of the UT school (a style I find amiable but not particularly moving) and his guitar work is no more than adequate but these things are not the point.  Finding delightful ways to write about the same old everyday heartaches, Nicolai hits home.  He'll be back in Chicago next week with Jeff Tweedy and others at Lounge Ax.

Oh, and when he yodels about thunderstorms, I like it fine.

Kelly