<< Jeff Weiss says: <<According to Grant Alden, writers do not control the
 "Star System." Editors make those decisions.>>

 <<That makes no sense. How does that prevent a reviewer from writing a review
 that is accompanied by a star rating that has no relation at all to the text
 of the review?>>

In my experience, editors ask for your rating and then tweak it as they feel
necessary.

<>

Hey now. We journalists are not in the music business, we're *covering* the
music business. Well, at least that's how the oft-referenced Greg Kot
positioned himself during a panel at lat year's (?) SXSW.

Neal Weiss