I rent a lot for work travel but haven't much for personal travel so for
personal -- I don't know what's cheap (I get a govt. discount for work).  I
did notice that my Amex statement this month included $20 off coupons from
both Budget and National.  If you used a travel agent or even one of the
online travel bookers they usually know the deals.

For work lately, I've been renting from Alamo and Dollar -- decent cars and
now that gas is so cheap they've had some good unlimited miles deals -- though
in Austin miles isn't going to be the seller.

I would advise that folks renting cars -- try to get them right away.  I think
it was 1995 when I rented at the last minute in SXSW and there wasn't a car to
be found and definitely not a cheap one.  I lucked out and got a car -- a
sporty premium model and it cost me a fortune.  I guess I've driven the last
few years and hauled folks around -- this year I'm just going to take my
chances.  Last year staying downtown, it was easier to walk or cab it than
look for a parking place.

Good luck car renters,

Deb