Not being one of the elect who gets free reviwers CDs, I can join in very
late on the Damnations TX hoopla.

I havent felt totally overwhelmed by this record.  I couldnt hum any of
the songs after the first couple of listens.  On the other hand, I keep
playing it over and over again and what a pleasure it is on a weekend
when I'm stuck at the computer.

The high point is the sound:  the wonderful singing laced over the the
guitars and the loose banjo.  It's kinda exhilarating.  John Croslin has
learned a lot since he was self-producing the Reivers.

I'm not overwhelmed by the songwriting, though it isnt weak by any stretch
(though I could live without the song about the stolen amplifier).  When I
hear a band that sounds this fine, I wish they would do more covers.  (I
really thought this about Hazeldine, who sounded great doing the Delmore
Brothers cover on "Straight Outta Boone County," but were markedly less
magical on their first album.)

I'm baffled, though, by the suggestions that the harmonies were
reminiscent of the Louvins or X.  They're nowhere in the ballpark of the
Louvins, either in style, feel, or sound.  And they're pretty straight
harmonies, which makes 'em nothing like X.  My only explanation is that
the reviewer's thinking goes like this:  "Great harmonies -- who else does
harmonies that I ever noticed? -- well, X, but they're more punk -- how
about country? -- oh the Louvins.  So, the harmonies must be like X and
the Louvins.  Hey! I think I'll write that down."

Will Miner
Denver, CO