I had to come out from the shadows and reply to this one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Curry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Shane S. Rhyne wrote:
>> Storms or no storms, I was determined to have a good time on tonight's
show.
>> Having this great new disc from the Countrypolitans sure helped out.
Y'all
>> who have been discussing the various merits of the Bakersfield sound and
the
>> classic Nashville sound really ought to be giving this disc a listen.
>
>A word of caution here:  I've found all of the alt-country releases
>emanating out of Portland to be less than pleasing.  I know, I live out
>here and should embrace the local scene.

Then why don't you? Have you made the hour drive to Portland to see any of
the bands you speak of? I have seen them all a few times in the past few
months and I think there is some real talent here. What is this whole
*caution* thing anyway? What are you exactly trying to warn people about? If
your posting is so singular and subjective then should it be phrased as a
warning? I think there is some real merit in these releases. Especially from
a town dominated by post-grunge-glamour-punk and neo-hippie-folk-crap.

>The Countripolitans record definitely has its moments.  Although I'd again
>caution those of you fascinated by their name to be wary.

Here we are again with this caution thing. What's in a name?

>It's not overly Countrypolitan, nor Bakersfield, nor anything else.

What is that supposed to mean? Does everything have to be labeled? Do you
need to attach an ID to all the parts to feel comfortable? I think The
Countrypolitans' CD has a mix of sound and style that fits well as a whole.
Are we so used to things being packaged that it all must taste the same?
Take the new Kelly Willis for example. Her voice is still candy to my ears
but I'm getting sleepy already.

>Again, sort of mid-tempo, plodding,
>with IMHO, under-developed songs.

There are a few songs on there that don't plod by any means.

What do you mean by underdeveloped? I'm curious because I'm working on some
songs in my own band and am wondering when to stop with them. What makes a
song fully developed?

>Plus, it has the most bizarre production
>I've ever heard.  The lead singer's voice literally jumps off the disc
>about 5 ft' in front of anything else.

I guess they got you on that one.

>Sorry, Golden Delicious, nor Bingo, nor any of that other Portland stuff
>(Hank Plank & the 2x4's excluded since I haven't heard them) appeals to me
>in the slightest.

What does appeal to you, except Steve Earle?

>Sorry to be honest and offer up a dissenting view.
>Hope the other Pac NW folks don't blast me out of the water, but I thought
>I'd should offer my own singular subjective take.  So, no flames por
>favor.
>
>NP:  Pernice Brothers
>Jerry

flames beget flames