> Well, there's a sampling. No pretense toward objectivity, plenty to rile
> up just about anybody, and some factual errors that even I noticed. I
> suspect that this book has been discussed here before, but  since I lack
> an encyclopaedic memory, forgive me if I don't recall it. -- Terry Smith

Richard Carlin is, if I remember correctly, the brother of Bob Carlin, the
banjoist.  I read a fairly lengthy review of this book somewhere, and it
doesn't seem to have been published where I thought (JCM), so maybe it was
here <g>.  And yes, it pointed out a fairly high rate of factual errors.

> ps in the Bobby Bare entry, he cites "Detroit City" as a seventies hit by
> Bare. Did Bare record this tune twice, or did Carlin get it wrong? I know
> Bare recorded this tune in the sixties.

Carlin got it wrong, certainly the "hit" part.  The hit was in the 60s.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/