> On the other hand, at least Carlin bothers to have a countrypolitan entry.
> That's more than can be said for the CMF's otherwise excellent Encylopedia
> Of Country Music (well, not entirely otherwise--there's also no southern
> gospel entry, let alone individual entries for the Blackwoods, Statesmen,
> JD Sumner & The Stamps, etc etc. etc.)

True enough about the individual entries, but I'll argue back a little bit
on the southern gospel thing; though there's no entry as such, there's some
discussion in the entry under gospel music (written by Charles Wolfe).
Wolfe essentially treats gospel as its own kind of category, and discusses
the influences of various kinds of gospel on country music; "the most potent
influence," he says, was southern gospel.  I'm not sure I agree with that
approach wholeheartedly, but there's something to be said for it.  It
certainly has had a different set of institutions and conventions.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/